Body Project: Lunchtime Cosmetic Procedures

Yesterday, I happened to be channel surfing when I came across The Wendy Williams Show. I don’t usually watch this show but her “Live Like a Star” promotion caught my attention. In yesterday’s episode, she was talking about lunchtime cosmetic procedures (includes Botox and laser treatments) with  Dr. Jeanine Downie. Around the 1:10 mark of this clip Dr. Downie says that according to her patients, Botox is “like breathing. If you can afford it, you need to get it done.” When I heard her say this, I instantly thought about media’s portrayal of the body as fixable or a project. I also thought about how the media, doctors, and regular people influence how we perceive our bodies. I  found this comment to be highly annoying.  I felt that it wasn’t necessary. What business does she or anyone have telling someone (especially me) that she or he needs to get Botox?  Personally, I don’t like the idea of paralyzing my face with a neurotoxin created by the bacteria (Clostridium botulinum) that causes Botulism.